Friday 25 May 2012

Brathay10in10 2012 marathon challenge - thoughts from afar

'Yeah, it's over now, but I can breathe somehow
When it's all worn out, I'd rather go without

You know it's been on my mind
Could you stand right there
Look me straight in the eye and say
That it's over now.'
(Alice in Chains - Over Now)
 

 
IT is nearly a week since I completed the Brathay 10 in 10 marathon challenge in the glorious sunshine of the Lake District and in the welcoming grounds of Brathay Trust, alongside the mesmeric shore line of Windermere.
And what a week it has been. A week full of emotion – tears, laughter, a little pain and a lot of joy.
First of all, I was saddened to learn that Adrian Shandley - my running mate, laughing mate  and roommate – has been told he has a stress fracture of the leg and must wear a pot for the next six weeks. To think this man ran the last three marathons with such a condition is mind boggling.
It demonstrates that a) the Brathay 10 in 10 is a challenge not to be scoffed at and b) Adrian ‘little one’ Shandley is as hard as Southport nails. A hero? A legend? He is the best thing to come out of Southport since Marc Almond and his tainted love.
Morecambe has a statute to Eric Morecambe. Maybe Sefton Council should sanction the construction of a Shandley statue on Southport’s shifting sands although of course it would have to have him wearing a pot on his leg!
Apart from a sore Achilles heel, I seem to have come out of the Brathay 10 in 10 challenge relatively physically unscathed although I have yet to resume running (it could be a while!).
But emotionally, I am like a Blackpool rollercoaster – up one moment, down another. I smile at some of the experiences of the marathon challenge week (for example, 10in10er Lee Boniface tracking me like a slowed down version of an exocet on the last day and then saying I had a really relaxed running style which helped him get around the course ) and then I cry when someone sends me an email of congratulations or a donation via www.justgiving.com/jeff-prestridge. The generosity of some has been extraordinary.
And I suppose that is the one overwhelming thing about post Brathay10in10. I have been simply blown away by the amount of money that has flowed to Brathay Trust via my justgiving page. Blown away. Overwhelmed. Shocked. Humbled. Happily surprised.
To each and every one of you (and I know some have contributed more than once) I say thank you. As I have said before, I will write to you all (writing is in my blood) to thank you. It is the least I can do.  With nearly £69,000 raised, I am getting ever closer to my ambitious target of £100,000. Maybe I won’t get there but I just might surprise myself and the wonderful people that make up Brathay and hit it. All it will take is one generous benefactor.
I will now continue with my confused life and try and become the  good person I strive to be. I know I am a good person at heart. I just need to let it all hang out.
Thanks for reading. Do comment on the Brathay page and give me your thoughts/reaction. Alternatively, email me at jeff.prestridge@hotmail.co.uk or tweet via twitter.com/jeffprestridge.
And if you want to be reminded of the emotion that is the Brathay10in10 I implore you to visit www.cumbrialive.tv/10in10 and watch the video of day 10. It will move you to tears.
This is my last Brathay10in10 blog – unless you ask me for more!
 I will not be doing the Brathay 10 in10 in 2013 (one is enough for anyone despite the heroics of four-timers Foxey and Steve Edwards). But I hope to do the Brathay Windermere marathon where I will cry as 2013 10in10ers complete one of the country’s toughest/best ultra-running challenges.
It’s been a joy writing. It’s been a joy running. Joy uber alles.

No comments:

Post a Comment