Friday 18 May 2012

Brathay 10in10 challenge - a joyous Friday for the Joy in my life

‘There's a reason for the sun shiny sky
And there's a reason why I'm feelin' so high
Must be the season
When that love light shines all around us
So let that feelin' grab you deep inside
And send you reelin' where your love can't hide
And then go stealin'
Through the summer nights with your lover
Just let your love flow like a mountain stream
And let your love grow with the smallest of dreams
And let your love show
And you'll know what I mean, it's the season
Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason’
(Bellamy Brothers)

DAY Eight of the Brathay 10in10 challenge has arrived and I am beginning to see the finishing line a little over the horizon. 183.4 miles completed and just another 78.6 painful miles to trundle out. Unless some motorist takes me out or a pot hole consumes me I am going to finish this challenge to end all challenges.
It’s a good morning in the Lake District. The blackbirds are singing. Or as Cat Stevens would say:
Morning has broken, like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for the springing fresh from the word
Today, the person I can’t stop thinking about is my younger sister Joy. For a start, she loves the Bellamy Brothers and as spotty teenagers we would listen to them ad infinitum in the downstairs study at home while pretending to do our homework. We would also listen to Cat Stevens, Wings, Wizard and Rod Stewart (Joy’s teenage fantasy).
What I love about Joy is that she lives up to her name. Rarely do you see Joy without a smile on her face and a laugh in her throat. She is one of life’s ebullient people. Put her in a room of strangers and she will have them all smiling within the hour. She’ll talk to anyone and laugh at anything (if she could see the state I am in now, she would laugh out loud).
Joy is happily married to Simon (a top entrepreneur who builds cranes for a living) and she has two wonderful children, Os (a mad Manc) and Sonia (a clever student at Cambridge).

Os and Sonia both take after Joy while possessing a slice of Simon’s intellect (the Bamfords carry more intellect than the Prestridges have combined).
Joy has supported me in the past few difficult months as I have tried to rebuild a life fractured by separation. For that I will love her forever more.
We need more Joy in our lives, people who believe life’s glass is half full as opposed to half empty.
Let’s all have a joyous Friday. I will run the eighth leg of the Brathay 10in10 challenge with Joy creasing my face.
I will tweet all day with Joy – www.twitter.com/jeffprestridge.
And hopefully, this blog will bring a little Joy into your lives – sufficient for you to sponsor the marvellous Brathay Trust via www.justgiving.com/jeff-prestridge.
As the Bellamy Brothers would say: just let your love flow! Just let your joy flow!
Have a joyous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment