Monday 21 May 2012

The thoughts of a ginga finisher in the Brathay 10in10 challenge: 10 marathons in 10 days

IT is the day after – the day after I managed to hobble over the line and complete my 10th marathon in 10 days for the wonderful children’s-focused charity that is Brathay Trust.
I have mixed emotions.  On the one hand, I am thrilled to have joined an elite group of people who have taken on this 262 mile battle and conquered it. I surprised myself with my mental strength and my ability to keep on running even when the legs wanted to wander off into the Lakeland bushes and rest awhile among the wild garlic (Ransom).
On the other, I am upset that it is over. Over the past 10 days I have met an extraordinary group of individuals from all walks of life who, like me, have conquered the Brathay10in10. They are all heroes in my eyes – and they will be until I can see, talk and breathe no more.
Could I run another marathon today? Yes! Do I want to? No. I have been told by those close to me that I should not run for 12 days! I will try to observe their running curfew but the Nike Free running shoes are already itching to hit the byways and highways of London.
Over the past 10 days, I have experienced all kinds of emotions.
I have cried both as a result of joy and physical pain (usually because of the marvellous recovery work done by BodyRehab).
I have laughed myself silly - usually as a result of yet another prank performed by the master prankster Adrian Shandley (10in10er) or because of yet another dour put-down by grumpy 10in10er Nick Woodward.
I have smiled as people have shouted support from their cars or from the roadside – or provided me with engine fuel in the form of hot steaming homemade cheese and onion pie (as Nick’s parents did and Nick’s wife ‘BigUn’ did).
I have cried when loved ones have not understood what the Brathay10in10 is all about (it is, unfortunately, an exclusive bubble which outsiders –including loved ones - find difficult to penetrate). I apologise for not understanding that and failing to deal with it.
I have also shed tears of familial pain at the failure of my mother and father to turn up to see me over the finishing line. It is a deep sadness I will take to my grave. Pride? It should be wiped away on occasion.
I have been overcome with the support of work colleagues - Helen (someone described her as my daughter!), Richard, David Budworth (of the Times) and Toby - who gave up a weekend of their crazy lives to wave a flag for me and supply me with champagne at 262 miles!
And to see my sister Joy turn up with her husband Simon (who completed the Brathay marathon on the Sunday) and their handsome son Oscar (a star in the making) will live long with me.
And I have cried at, cried with and cried for Joanna my partner who has struggled with the whole event – both from afar and when she joined me on Saturday night. One unfortunate consequence of the Brathay10in10 is that it tests the strength of the bonds that entwine to make that magic potion called love. Joanna, I love you. The potion is strong.
Ladies and gentlemen, I thank all of you have who have tweeted me with messages of support.
And, of course, I thank everyone who has donated through www.justgiving.com/jeff-prestridge. In the coming weeks, I will thank every single one of you.
My justgiving page will remain open for the next three months and I will get to £100,000. If you have a rich uncle, aunt or you are next day neighbour to Chris Evans/Alan Sugar/Richard Branson/Stephen Hester/Bob Diamond/Crispin Odey/Tony Blair – do let them know about my journey and the magnificent charity that is Brathay Trust.
Auf wiedersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment